Tuesday, February 28, 2006

 

Take the Red Road

Take The Red Road
Poems in Algonkian and English Languages
copyright c 2000-2006 Evan Pritchard All rights reserved
Print copy (illustrated) available from Resonance Communications
PO Box 1028 Woodstock NY 12498 (212)714-7151 $5 plus $1 postage

(Note: The letter x is used to represent a gutteral sound like the “ch” in Bach.)

Part One: Mi'kmaq Songs

The Beauty Road
Maigwaig Outee

Gwelunk axanoodamax’n
I go out looking for teachings,
Maigwaig outee
Along the red road
Messenmen outee
Along the Beauty Road
Oosit’amo neebuktamough!
Across the green surface of our mother earth
It is spring; elmee-nimq, on the way to summer.
Mother, what can you teach me today?
Dalloo gegoonoo demooee geezkook?

She seems to say,
Geezkooseen (check) il….geegunoo?
“Today we are going to learn about …”
“Nenjuk!”
families!”

First I see a high-domed turtle mother sunning herself
On a floating log
Like a smooth serene island of calm
In the middle of Greenbelt Pond,
Four nervous little meetch-cheetchk-djeedj,
Four little turtles behind,
Like an Archipeligo of tortoise shells
Waving their hind legs in the air,
Trying to climb here and there,
Flexing their knees
Plopping into the water whenever I sneeze.

Then I see the duck clan mother of the pond appear
Her vigilant serious gaze unwavering as she glides
And guides her doduclets, her twelve identical ducklings
(identical at least to me)
through spring training swim school today. They play.
When one lags behind, she waits, holding back the others
With a sign from her beak; she doesn’t have to speak.
She looks exemplary in her dark brown dress
With the pockets hemmed in bright blue ribbon
Her friend swims up to chat,
With four even smaller children
And, oops! The exact same dress!

Ants by my hand seem to stop now and then
To sense, “Where are my brothers now?”
Are they safe?”
And seem to know somehow.
Satisfied, they continue on their way.
Geloog nenjuk!
Wonderful families!
These Familes are so bonded, so close
My own family seems torn apart
By the four winds of human affairs.
We are so seldom together, so harried
Everything seems to pull us apart.
New York, Maryland, Florida, North Carolina, New Brunswick
All tear at my heart.

We are scattered,
Like the twirling seeds, like dead leaves,
Like the nations of my Algonquin people.

The ducks go back to their nest
The turtles disappear into the water
And somewhere I hear
A human baby crying
Like it’s lost its mother.

You and I are Like Water
Neen Ach Geeoh Al Samgwan

Our spiritual lives are like tiny little rivers
Maymachoowach’n al seepoodjeedk
Running down the hill to make a gathering
Pulled by the force of consequence
We can’t even see around the next corner
Stumbling on every rock along the path
We bump into each other, join forces
“Maydalain?” we say, “How are you?”
and we keep moving.
What’s the difference between ourselves
And the runoff in the spring after a good rain?
Moohwah!
Nothing!
Genoo Mamawinini! We are the nomadic
Wanderers
They call us “The Freedom People,”
Nature takes its humble course with us
Sooneywen outee
And we call it freedom!

People damn us for being who we are
We just go underground
And we just keep gathering and gathering
Geenoo mayomee ach mayomee ach
Mayomee
Streams change into rivers
Samgwan sasee-ehwhy seepoogh
Rivers change into rapids
Seepoogh sasee-ehwhy mattewan.
Only gravity knows the way
Only the nature of things knows how things
Will fall together
But I Chipmunk can assure you that they will—
It is written on the rocks.
Na’goweh nitchya,
things fall
Samgwan nitchya,
Water falls
Na’goweh ulnuk nitchya,
Ach looweywoodee
Human things fall and it is ugly
Samgwan nitchya, ach uktchee geloog!
Water falls and it is great beauty!

Today our voices babble like the sound of shallow water
But some day we will converge into a great waterfall
Moving mountains with our thunder;
Sasee-eh why koomd’n gokdoogwow!
We continue to fall into the earth
But some day we will reach the great ocean
Ach geezkooseen geenoo alsootomay Geezoolgh!
And on that day, our many voices will speak as one
With the Creator!

Sitting On Pebbles
Gehgoodeg gundaljdeedj

Geezkook, Mahamaygo gessgwee-byeen
Gundal-djeedj!
Today, the whole earth is sitting on top of a pebble.
Naoa gundal djeedj!
One little pebble!
Push too hard and it will fall—
Nitchya wayeesgayeek!
It will fall into a million pieces.
Then where will you be?
Think about what you are doing.
You only have this day which is given to you
By the Creator. Other than this, you have nothing.
Take away from nothing and you have debt.
We are at the crossroads of the seven fires
There is no more easy credit.
No more games to lose or win.
This dream is real. Time to wake up.
Make this day an offering to the Creator—
Sasyeh-whiene Geezoolgh.
And you become part of everything—opsetgoweh!

Ent gamalamun gehgoo-degk gundaljdeedj!
My heart too is balanced on a tiny stone today!
Don’t push so hard. I might break on you
Like an earth-shaped egg full of red blood.

Nemeedoosup uktchee loowehwoodee!
I have seen a lot of sorrow and confusion!
Like the stones of the earth
Like the oldest of trees, neebuk sa’an
I have seen a lot of sorrow and confusion.
Nemeedoosup uktchee loowehwoodee!

Think about what you are doing to me.
I cannot be replaced.
You cannot buy a second me at a yard sale
Like the earth itself
I am the only one you will find.
You, my friend are climbing on a mountain
Of loose stones
They are giving way even as you boast of your height.
Watch your step. Don’t show off!
You may be burying those underneath
You may end up falling yourself.
Where will you be then?
Think about what you are doing.
Geezkook welmahdji-dasee!
My heart is not in place today!
Eganamooee wuntaktek!
Give me some peace!
Wanta-ey-ahee!


Zeezeebem Abachtuq
To My Wild Bird, Far Away
(in English and Micmac)

Sometimes when you and I are together
“Wolquassamough Ebeet,”
It’s amazing!
Baxalaiee!
Everything looks so good;
Welleeakamkook! Uktchee!
I’m so happy to see you
Weldaseen nemeedoo
That I have to sing
Amooshpa gedabagee-eh
Amooshpa
A song without words.
Your eyes
Ukpoogeek’l neebuxtamough
Your green eyes
Light a red fire in my heart
Wahsowahdoo weebuxtao maigwayg
That purifies my being.
Wha’qun mahdooee uxtep.
Let me smudge you,
Let me smudge you with its smoke!
Ghebigsonnup bigsod!
When I am with you
“Wolquassamough Ebeet”
Bpaxa-laieeg naq’oeh dleasik!
Amazing things happen!
Heaven opens up, and my spirit goes someplace
Hwa-so’q benadoo, oxtichitchachamidj madjaidex
Like an arrow to the sun.
My dreams are unreasonable!
I am so happy I am dancing and it is a sacred dance
Delldjee wellodegen, ehnoodahain!
Your love washed away the sadness
In my heart, and now I feel so good.
Geesalk whacha maldooeesup
Gamalamun welowdaygass.
I think you have healed me with your embrace
Welain daan behlimp pehlin nebuhdiek.
My heart goes to you now
Like an arrow to the sun
Al eltaeegen nagooset.
When will I see you again?
Donn upnamooltessanoo?
I miss you! I miss you!
Messalagoo! Messalagoo!
Ent ehbitem!



Zeezeebem Abachtuq

Donn neen ach geeoh mahweedadjik
“Wolquassamough Ebeet,”
bahxalaiee!
Weleeakamkook! Uktchee!
Weldasseen nemeedoo
Amooshpa gedabagee-eh
Dabageeach’n mu eloeestagetk
Ukpoogeek’l neebuchtamough
Wahsowahdoo weebuxtao maiguaig
Ent gamalamun
Wha’qun mahdooee uchtep.
Gehbigsonnup bigsod!

Donn neen ach geeo mahweedadjik
“Wolquassamough Ebeet”
Bpaxa-laieeg naq’oeh delahsik
Hwa-so’q benadoo, oxtchitchachamidj madjaidex

Geloog dan del queesee
Delldjee wellodegen, ehnoodahain!
Geesalk whaxa maldooeesup
Gamalamun welowdaygass.
Welalin daan behlimp pehlin nebuhdiek.

Ent gamalamun nahdamee geeoh
Al eltaeegen nagooset.
Donn upnamooltessanoo?
Messalagoo, messalagoo,
Ent ehbitem.

The Path of Aglamz
(Aglamz: A Micmac word whose meaning resembles the Tao. It is a way of understanding.)

Listening to the music which cannot be heard,
This is the sound of Aglamz
Seeing colors which cannot be seen,
This is the light of Aglamz
Knowing things which have no sense,
This is the understanding of Aglamz
Visiting the inaccessible place
This is traveling the path of Aglamz
Calling and calling for that being which has no name,
This is the song of Aglamz,
Coming to the end of all roads
This is the beginning on the path of Aglamz.


Neegeh
(This Moment Now)

At this eventful moment of the day
The snail has found the jail key to her shell
The beetle bug is measuring the tree
The butterfly emerges from her womb
The lotus shows the petal to the bee
The dragonfly in dancing on the lake
The ladybug is yearning to be free
But the praying mantis sits there mindful of them all
And contemplating dew upon a single blade of sweetgrass
Learns to see.

Haiku

Emptiness of space
In you the Great Blue Heron
Has room to stretch wings.

Smokey summer moon
Thin like a new candle’s flame
Burning midnight oil.

Dusk. The mountain blurs
Them melts away. Lightning brews
Teardrops on the breeze.

Blossom you are vain!
You wait til I notice you
Then plunge to the ground!

Would you have the sun
Shining all the time?
What about the owls?

Where’s heaven?
It’s in the last place
That you look.


The Earth Is Our Mother
Ma’amaygo Geedjoo-en

I have heard the elders say,
“The Sun is our grandfather.”
”Geezeegool Nisgamitch.”
But we have lost him in the wilderness
And no longer go out to search for him.

I have heard the old women say,
“The moon is our grandmother.”
“Geezeegooeesk Depkunoset.”
But we have left her house a mess;
We barged in and took things
And brought bad luck to our own house.

And I have heard the wise man and the warrior say:
”The earth is our mother.”
”Ma’amaygo Geedjooen.”
But we have tricked her
And cut off her hair while she was sleeping
Then we threw it in the fire,
And now we must live with
The stench of our deceit.
Now she is balding and ugly
And has no long braids
On which to hang the stars
Her skin is covered with scars.

We are one tribe
No’ogamaq
And yet we have made separate camps
And have found excuses to disagree,
To throw rocks, to fire arrows,
At one another’s hearts
With murderous eyes.

And yet on days like these
Geezkook al ootdetk
When my eyes are cloudy
And the rain falls on my hearth
I go to my mother for understanding.
I talk long walks with her
And she explains the way of things to me
Agoolamzin
And I am reassured.

She heals me with her mixtures of herbs
And barks and grass
Clever old woman
I drink in the essences of flowers
And my eyes are made clear.
Entpoogeek al samgwan
And I never know wheterh she has forgotten my
Childish pranks
Or just doesn’t care,
But I am newly amazed each time.

After a long day’s walk
I am ready to go back home
And then, through the trees
I see my long long grandfather
Geezeegool Niskamitch
His red, round face shining with joy
At my return
The searching is over once again.

I run to the clearing to greet him.
Tonight, my grandmother will greet me too,
My big, fat, pale grandmother
Geezeegooeesk Depk’noset
The one who shines at night
Whose smile is as broad as the river is long
And whose hair is as black as the night.
She will smile on me alone
And tell me of her travels,
And all will be forgotten.


One More Eagle Song
Nauqte Geetpo Oochtabaygee-eh

Geezeegool Geetpo moosehgisq
Eagle in the sky
Neen melxeeganan dbemaxseen
Do I have the strength to fly
Damee geeoh bukdakseen
Where you fly
Donn nebp’d?
When I die?

Damee eleeun—
Where are you going—
Welneedap?
My friend?
Aboch’n mooee gwelahk dju-zen gamalamun
Help me find my heart’s direction
Oochdjuzen mussegeesk
It comes from the direction of the sky
Oochdjuzen nagooset
It comes from the direction of the sun
Oochdjuzen nagooset
The direction of the wind and the stars!
Ooxdjuzen ooxdjuzen ach gullohwitchk!

Can you help?
Aboch’n mooee?
Nahdamee boxtuloogaiq ella-diq(oo)
Do you want to go someplace with me?
You who fly to the sun
Geeoh wenit buskoosod nagooset
You who fly on the wind
Wenit buskoosod oochdjuzen?
And converse with the stars?
Ach elgoolo-see gullohwitchk?
Bring me the message
Eeganamooee ahganoodemax’n abaxtuq
From afar.

Gehdoo samqwai naq’o-eh
I am thirsty for something
Moohwa samgwan
It is not water
Gaydax’n!
It is understanding!
Otch-tchi-tcha-hau-midtch ma-djai-dech welleh
My spirit goes someplace good
Donn nebp’d
When I die.

Take me there now
But only take my eyes
Naneen gaydoolee-ay doo-ahlee
I want to go, take me from here
Gaydjoo wadoo ukpoogeek’l
To the spirit world
Weygadex
Where I will see clearly
Nemeetdhun mu-metcheegheh
Like you do,
Al geeoh!

Mou-messenoo-moolx!
I don’t get it!
I climb
Ahmasek
A long way up
Kmmdn’ uktchee Manitou
The mountain of Great Spirit
Hunting for knowledge
Gwaylunk gaydax’n
Wisdom
Unkeedassee-wach’n
And peace
Ach wuntaktek.

Geeztelahdayg’n
The Quest
Tachadungmooee
The quest has finished me
Bochtchin lua-dhung!
But it is just starting!
Donn geeoh geezeegooldjeedj!
When you, old grandfather
“Sa’an wabay sobonne”
“Old white-hair”
Buskoosod achdadoo
Fly right past me
Alaee Niskgam.
On your way to the Sun.
Axanoo-demaq’n abee
Bring me back words of wisdom
When you return!
Donn upnamooltessanoo!

Gaydoo damee entgwaylaken
You’ll know where to look for me
Bemee’en al meetch-tcheetch
Trudging like a turtle
Maygwaig outee ahmasek!
Along the red road!


Take the Red Road
Mee-eneemoo Maygwayg Outee

Walk towards the sun for a day
Eleeun Nisgam nauqte negwew
You shadow will know the way
Otchitcha-hau-mitch(oo) gaydoo aglamz.

Donn geeoh nemeedoo daboo outee
When you come to an intersection
Ach ga’xamee mooshpa lagoowax’n uchtup
And standing there you have to make up your mind
Mee-en-eemoo Maygwayg Outee.
Take the Red Road.

Waneeshee, ucktcheegehloog djoosin
It’s more beautiful in that direction
Ach witchoowoo donn taxadung.
And shorter in the long run.

El-loo-gaik weegooum ixtuq
Keep walking until you come to a dwelling
Ixtooq nemeedoo djeenum geeoh gaydoosup
There you will meet someone you used to know
Gesalgkedt
Embrace him
Ax wixomut micmac, Meegamooatch.
And call him countryman, kin-friend.

Sooner or later, the blessings of night will fall
Ulabadoo depkik nitchya al geetpessan
Like the rain.

Sakseegwadoo buxtao gamalamun
But let your fire burn brightly
In your little shell.
Meegus-djeedj.

Maygwayg buxtao whasowahdoo ukpoogeek-el
Let its red glow light your eyes
Bemee-en mee-eneemoo nehbunn
Keep walking until you find sleep
Geh-gobeet ma’amaygo
Then lay upon the earth
Geesalk Noogamee
Embrace the Great Mother.
Donn mundjai
When you awaken
Mee-en-ee-moo geeoh
You’ll find yourself
Uxtaahnuq
On a beach
Boxtchin waben-eeah
Welee-etseepoq
Just before the dawn
Of a beautiful morning.

Geeoh aimoo wedjibennah neegeh.
You are in the eastern direction now
Munjai ax nemeedoo wedjibek
Rise up and look to the east
Geezeegool Nisgam
To the Grandfather Sun
Munjai gwessgweedjai abaxtuq
Rising over the ocean.

Eleeun taxadung oo’sitgamoo
Walk to the end of the earth
Ga’amee botchin abaxtuq
And stand at the edge of the ocean
Tchai-nai
Wait quietly
Wuntaktek uk-kamalamun
With peace in your heart
Ax ahlsootumy Neesgam
And pray.

Take your offering
From its pot of clay
Eganee sasee-eh-whyn
Tcha wo’qtch-tyou
Something in exchange for the light.
Na’qo’eh sasee-eh why whasowuck.
Slowly, the sun will show his face to you
Nisgam elxeedamool seesk gee-el
And unfold for you a stream of red
Ax eganugee-el seepoodjeedj maygwayg
Whaso-buxtau weskitdek
Firelight sparkling along the crest of waves
Al ahmasek outee maygwayg
Like a long beautiful red road
Waygadex
To eternity.

When it washes your shoes
Donn ilwax’n malseen makassink
Take that red road to the center of the sun
Mee-enee-moo maygwayg outee gamalamun Nisgam.
You will not fall
Muxwa nitchya
Your feet will fly to heaven!
Mukatk buskoosod Whasowuck!

Geenoo el-eeun Nisgam nauqtegwew
We all will travel towards the Creator one day
Otchitchahaumitch(oo) gaydax’n aglamz
Our spirits will understand the way
The way of truth and harmony
The Red Road!
Maygwaig outee!
Bemee’en wedji-bennah
Walk towards the place where the sun rises
Gamalamun Nisgam
To the heart of the Creator
Ax taxadung oo’sitgamooo.
And there at the edge of the world..
We’ll speak as one with the Creator!
Geenoo ahlsootumy Geezeegool Nisgam!

Eganuwax’n sasee-ehwhyn
Laying down our offering
Tcha woq’tchk
Pots of clay
Sasee-eh-why whasowuck
In exchange for Heaven.

Geenoo aim outee ixtuq
We then will be the road itself
Ax muxwa mooshpa bemee’en abaxtuk
And we’ll no longer need to walk so far
Aim ixtooq
To get there.

Ees neegeh
But for now
Mee-enee-moo Maygwayg outee!
Take the Red Road!

Part Two: Poems in English and Delawarian Languages
You And I Are Like Water

(In Northern Unami and English)

Ni wox ki alinaquat m’bi
You and I are like water
Ni wox ki alinaquat m’bi.
Coos tchupik tekenuk
Axsuanl tchupik ni-waxtschuk
The Pines are rooted in our forests
The stones are rooting in our mountains
The corn is rooted in our soil
Chasquaysem tchupik nihakki
Ees nee wox ki
But you and I
Aliniquat m’bi!
Are like water!

Gilunoo matta’tschupik hakki
We have no earthly roots
Wox axtchin messoxwi!
And we must keep running!
Ejajan
Wherever you go
Ejajan
Mamsxali, mamsxali!
Remember me! Remember me!

Ni wox ki, alinaquat m’bi
You and I are like water
Ni wox ki, alinaquat m’bi
Alinaquat sheepoos
Our lives like tiny streams
Messaxwe
Running down hill
Mogowoa gitchitoon!
no one knows where we end up!

Lill!
Tell me!
Delli tchanindewoagan
What’s the difference
Between you and me…and the water?
Ni wox ki…wox m’bi?
Moxwa!
Nothing!

Luewak axtchin aan
They say that we must leave
Axtchin aan, aan woole-hakki
That we must leave
Leave this sacred land!

Al peptelaan,
Like a shower of rain,
Pimuxquayu waxtsxuk
Pee-etchookw
We are turned from these mountains by changing winds
And can’t return
Mo-ma-tsxil
Mamsxali!

Ni wox ki tchanind seepoo
You and I are from different rivers
Ees ootchitchan giluna liniquat!
But inside we are the same!
Our hearts split like wood!
Ktehena paxat taxan!
We cut our hair in mourning!
Gisx kschummen milax
Giluna pomsi aney metelen
We walk a humble path
Ees geequey matchapeek
But this is the hardest day of all!
Delli ann?
Where will we go?
Ni wox ki moxwa wikooum!
You and I have no earthly home!
Ejajan!
Wherever you go
Mamschali! Mamschali!
Remember me! Remember me!
Mamschali! Mamschali!

To Come:
Unquachoag Prayer (Unquachoag)
The Mud Diver Story (Munsee)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?